rawhide installation problem

Simon Lanzmich SimonLanzmich at gmx.de
Tue Dec 27 11:55:19 UTC 2005

Today I attempted to do a http / ftp installation.
Since the boot.iso from rawhide does not boot, I tried the boot.iso from
FC5test1, which boots fine.
(Actually, I did not burn the iso to a CD but instead I extracted its
contents on my disk and booted it with grub - This usually worked very
well, or is this what is meant by "Hard drive install is broken" in the
release announcement?)

However, I don't get very far with the installation. The installer
complains that it can't retrieve Fedora/base/stage2.img and I see the
following messages when I press Alt+F3 / Alt+F4:

transferring
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64/Fedora/base/stage2.img to a fd (I usually use a mirror, but I wanted to be sure that this is not the problem)
mntloop loop0 on /mnt/runtime as /tmp/ramfs/stage2.img is 43
failed to mount loop: Invalid argument
Error mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/runtume (Invalid argument)

and

<4> Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
<4> VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0
<3> cramfs: wrong magic
<3> Fat: bogus number of FAT structure
<6> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev loop0