Apple Disk labels

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 18:50:39 UTC 2005

Under Apple MacOS 9 (hfs+) there are 8 required partitions for the
OpenBoot prom to "see" the disk correctly; I have been placing the FC5
AppleBoot lable on partition 9 and the rest of the standard install
into /dev/hda10 (/boot), /dev/hda11 (swap), and /dev/hda12 (/)

Is there a way to get the partitions onto the disk and not have to
have the 8 "required" Apple labels?  This is an old iMac with the
firewire MoBo; I have re-installed from scratch now about 11 times and
I cannot see any other way to get it to work.

I remember from my Debian Ultrasparc days that the Ultra10 I had would
not boot correctly without the required "SUN" harddisk labels.  Is
this the same deal with the disks used on an Apple?

If so, then this brings up another issue -- how to make the 8 labels
if one does not have the Apple doot CDs...

???
--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting