FC4 for servers

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Feb 5 14:00:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 13:41 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> I'm not telling you. I posted this list of packages to this mailinglist
> a few weeks ago.

Arjan's right. Also see:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/barebones-server-howto.php

for my approach to trimming the fat from a Fedora minimal install. I am
(slowly) trying to create a comps.xml file that can be submitted for
testing. It goes SLOWLY because I am having trouble understanding what
to modify and what not to... I am not really a programmer.

The intent (and I wouldn't mind some help here...) is to submit this
comps.xml file to the Fedora team. If they agree, it will replace the
current minimal install. The "weight loss" from current minimal is not
trivial... I was very conservative about eliminating stuff, and even so
I got rid of nearly 160MB of cruft.

We go through this discussion frequently, but very few people step up
the plate and help. Anyone have a tiny bit of knowledge and some free
time, to help put my modifications into the comps.xml file? With that
one change, we can take a big step forward!

And remember this discussion the next time you hear people whining about
Red Hat not giving control to the community. The problem is that it's
hard to get the community to participate! Thank God for Red Hat's
gradual process of including the community while ensuring that Fedora
maintains forward progress.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>