"Best" way to do a fresh install of rawhide?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:41:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:10:55 -0600, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:
> OK, so is this what the dev team *wants* - i.e. does it make sense to even
> try it this way to find bugs?  Or is it more desireable to start with a
> stable install (FC3) and then yum up to rawhide?  Do you see what I mean?
> If I'm going to file bugs against weird behavior, I want to make sure they
> are realistic bugs.

Desirable?  I'm sure a lot of testers find starting with an fc3
install desireable... because they don't like testing the installer.
But in the final analysis  yum isn't officially (whatever that means)
recommended as a means to go from one release to the next.  You have
to ask yourself what you think is more important for you to do as a
tester.

the installer is worth testing... but depending on the day you try the
install...you might have a problem simply because rawhide has become
inconsistent.  It happens.. its the nature of rawhide. From day to day
as new crap enters into the rawhide tree dependancy problems might
creep in. Even testers using yum to selectively grab rawhide packages
see it sometimes and end-up using excludes to get around the small set
of broken deps.  Every day is a new adventure.  dep problems which
prevent the installer from working as expected are valid filable
issues.

It helps to review recent posts on test-list. Invariably someone will
use yum... see a dep problem and mention it (or as often demand
instructions on how to fix it).  When you see recent discussion like
this on the lists you can probably expect the install from rawhide
attempt to be extra "fun." Depending on the packages that are having a
problem in rawhide and the type of install you do  you may or may not
have a problem installing.  The key thing is approach everything you
do with the rawhide tree expecting to have a problem... and to be
disappointed when things go well.

-jef