What reads these clips

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Feb 6 17:38:37 UTC 2005

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> writes:
>

>>On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:49:45AM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>

>>>What do we have in testing (rawhide) or extras that will allow one to
>>>view these streaming clips:
>>>  http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=97
>>>The first few are freebies.
>>>

>>Nothing; can't do it with the legal situation in the US.
>>

>Not sure what you mean here.  Those clips can be viewed from any
>uptodate winXP machine.  Do you mean we have nothing that can view
>them.  How is legality involved?

It means that unless Apple makes an official quicktime release for linux
, there's no legal way to watch those videos.
All the quicktime implementations available for linux (AFAIK) are based
on reverse engineering (or other option that goes against the EULA for
their products).
That's the same reason several other things arent available in Fedora ,
like NTFS...
Maybe using the packages from rpm.livna.org you'll be able to watch
those videos.. Specially using mplayer with the full codec pack (I dont
know if it's available on livna , but it's a tar.gz on mplayer's website).

--
Pedro Macedo