Java and any kernel post 1063_FC4

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 22:12:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

>> Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?
>
>Yes, I have, using Azureus under Sun 1.5.0 (and now _01).  Lockups
>(usually so hard I can't alt-sysrq-b), and sometimes spontaneous
>reboots.  I also can't get through more than a couple eps of Buffy in
>mplayer without lockage, and running folding at home overnight seems to
>do the trick too.

I don't get a problem with mplayer or xine, just Azureus and have
started to wonder if there is some form of conflict between gcj and the
Sun JVM (someone else needs to answer it as I don't have a clue about
it)

>I've tried backing off to the 741 kernel (FC3), and while that's
>better, it's still not crash-free.

1063_FC4 is lovely and stable on all of my boxes with 1115 being awful
and the current 1137_FC4 being nice again - synaptics is still screwed
on that kernel though, but not as badly kernels post 1105.

>If you haven't already, definitely give your hardware at least an
>overnight run of memtest86+.

I'll give that shot. However, as I have plenty of other things running
on it all of the time, I can't see it being a memory problem.

>Other than the video cards, my hardware is an Athlon 1700+ (1466 MHz)
>on a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus mobo (VIA KT266A), plus an extra ethernet
>card (tulip), SCSI (2940UW), and an extra Promise 100TX controller.
>Lots of drives.  Any similarities to your hardware?

Sempron 2400+, Gigabyte mobo, GF4MX (64Mb), 1Gb matched DDR 333 and a
whole pile of other cards in there (including an extra IDE card, SCSI,
video cap and other fun things!). Looks like other than the maker of the
processor, not a lot ;-)

TTFN

Paul
--
"I don't know how World War III will be fought, but I do know World War
IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Einstein