Java and any kernel post 1063_FC4

Wes Shull wes.shull at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 06:34:23 UTC 2005

Ok, following up on this, I dropped in a new video card this weekend
(generic Radeon 7000), and my system crashes have gone away.  So the
video card was indeed the culprit, must have been locking the PCI bus
or something.

Now I can leave mplayer looping overnight or run folding at home without
any problems.  However...

With the latest rawhide kernels, I still can't run azureus for very
long.  Not a crash, but the OOM killer seems to take it (and other
things) out abnormally early.  The thing is, it happens in situations
where, near as I can tell, I'm not that low on memory.  I do have only
256 MB RAM, and the kernel slab debug is using a lot of memory as I
documented in an earlier post to fedora-devel-list, but it seems like
the swap (and I've got 512 MB of it) has hardly been touched when this
happens.  I am running with vm.swappiness=0, but that's supposed to
just keep it from swapping until it *has* to, not stop swapping
altogether (and it isn't).

Actually, I just had the OOM killer take out firefox while I was
bugzilla'ing something else  :(  Here's what it has to say for itself.
 This is under kernel-2.6.10-1.1141_FC4(.i686):

http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~wes/oom-sucks.txt

Anyone here that can tell if that was premature?  Or should I post
that to the fedora-devel-list?

--wes