JRE for Firefox

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Wed Feb 16 18:19:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:39 -0500, Sean wrote:
> On Wed, February 16, 2005 10:42 am, Kyrre Ness Sjobak said:
> > But will there be any conflict if you have 2 JRE's - Sun's and gcj? Or
> > are gcj just there for "fedora supplied" Java desktop apps?
>
> No conflict at all.   At this poing gcj doesn't supply a complete JRE or
> integration with Firefox (gcjwebplugin is still being developed).

Actually, using the java-1.4.2-gcj4-compat package (which is likely to
be installed by default on FC4), gcj will very much look like a complete
JRE.  I'm not sure about gcjwebplugin though.

As it has been pointed out, jpackage.org is the way to go.  Using the
alternatives system, you may then easily switch between gcj and Sun's
JRE.  You'll also get an RPM to install the Firefox plugin when the
nosrc.rpm is built.

--
Ziga