how to disable debugging in rawhide-kernel

Wes Shull wes.shull at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:47:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:27:36 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I guess the rawhide kernel has extra checks/debugging turned on -
> which can slow things down.
>
> Any idea what these are?

Taking a quick gander through my /boot/config-2.6.10-1.1143_FC4...

#
# Kernel hacking
#
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
# CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT is not set
CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_FS is not set
# CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
CONFIG_KPROBES=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y
CONFIG_4KSTACKS=y

Probably just set all the CONFIG_DEBUG*=y there to =n.  I'm not sure
which would affect speed the most, but I'd guess disabling
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB will cut down most of the extraneous memory usage
(if that's as noticeable for you as it is for me on my 256 MB
machine).

The more debugs you keep on, though, the more chance you have of being
able to usefully report any problems...

(cc:ing you because I'm not sure I have my subscription set up to
allow posting from this address)

--wes