Pecular reactions with Rawhide installation

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Feb 22 05:02:58 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Using an updated rawhide upgrade. I have noticed a few pecular items
> with the operation of the system.
>
> The system seems to slow down to a snails pace at times and may be
> unresponsive. The processor seems to be overburdoned at times and
> allows my usual 45 degree temperature for the processor to escelate to
> higher than usual temperatures. Today, the temperature got to 80 C and
> the system shut itself off. I run acpi.

CPU temp seems like a good indicator that some process has gotten stuck
in a loop and is using 100% cpu.
Using top will usually show the culprit.

Last time that was happenning to me it was /usr/bin/esd.   It is
impossible to "rpm -e esound" because everything
claims to depend on it, so my solution was to "mv /usr/bin/esd
/usr/bin/esd.broken"  and reboot.   Sound seems to
work much better now.

John