Complete lockups with new kernels on FC2 and FC4-devel

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Feb 23 00:51:20 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Ever since upgrading to recent kernels on FC4-devel and FC2 I've been
experiencing total lockups on two different laptops.

The FC2 laptop ran fine until upgrading to the 2.6.10-1.12 kernel (the
kernel before that is 2.6.7-something and worked well) and the upgrade
was handled using yum.  The current 2.6.10-1.14 kernel doesn't even seem
to want to boot, but I haven't had a chance too look into this because
it's my wife's laptop and she's only just reported it this morning after
the upgrade last night.

On the FC4-devel laptop, I've been getting similar (the same) lockups
using recent kernels.  I'm pretty sure the problem isn't in the
2.6.10-1.1143 kernel, but I get is a lot with the 2.6.10-1.1148 kernel
and I'm pretty sure it was an issue in the 2.6.10-1.1146 kernel too.

These lookups are complete.  The mouse and keyboard do not respond at
all, the screen doesn't change and you can't ping the box from another
machine.  The only thing to do is yank the battery and powercord and
reboot.

Are other noticing this?

Rodd