slow booting on FC3

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Sun Feb 27 18:24:15 UTC 2005

Not long ago, luya at jpopmail.com proclaimed...
> For some reason, Fedora Core 3 boot slower than normal (about 3 minutes).
> When I verify the log, it seems to have no problem. Here is the kernel
> report:

[snip snip snip snip snip...]

> Anyone knows how to solve that issue?

Do you need SELinux? It is guaranteed to slow down the boot process and
hinder performance in general. If you don't need it, edit the
/etc/sysconfig/selinux file, disable it, and reboot.

Turn off all unneeded services as well (use system-config-services or
ntsysv). The ntp service, for example, is nice, but it takes up a good
10-20 seconds of boot time synchronizing with a time sevrer.

The boot time has been an issue in the Fedora community. Developers have
been working on ways to speed up boot times and it is speculated that FC4
will bear some of the fruits of that work. There's a lot that could be
done. Things like ntp could be started in the background after other
critical services are started, for example.

-=Fozz

 "Auto Repair Service. Free Pick-up and delivery.  Try us once, you'll
  never go anywhere again."
    -- Classified ad in newspaper