kernel-2.6.10-1.1056_FC4 much better than post kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 1 08:02:42 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:21:26PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>  > It is nice not to have to override shortcomings from test kernels post
>  > kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 until kernel-2.6.10-1.1056_FC4. I now can
>  > shutdown the computer normally and do not have the shutdown from GUI
>  > lockup that the -715 kernel version suffered.
>  >
>  > Thanks for the resulting improvements.
>  >
>  > On personal input, I think that this kernel and needed newer versioned
>  > packages might be moved to test. The kernel should probably be
>  > introduced into FC3 also, at least in testing.
>
> In time, it will. Right now isn't the time however, as there
> are a number of things in 2.6.10 that weren't fixed.
> A 2.6.10-ac update for FC3 is feasable though.
>
> I think I've finally nailed the 'machine oopses on logout'
> problem with the FC3 update kernels today. I'm trying to
> get that built right now. If that works out, it'll be the
> final 2.6.9 kernel for FC3, and I'll get a 2.6.10 update
> into testing shortly afterwards.
>
> 		Dave

It's great to not have to worry about flashing CAPS indicators with the
newer kernels during logout.

I tested the devel kernel version in runlevel 3 and 5 and even with rhgb
active. No oopses were experienced.
Previously, I had a random lockup with even the 2.6.9-1.681 kernel, but
it was only occasionally occurring. I still have to test for duration of
running without a lockup condition.

A 2.6.9 kernel for FC3 with included fixes would be a welcomed addition
for FC3. A 2.6.10 kernel for testing would also be great.

Thanks!

Jim

Stock's Observation:
	You no sooner get your head above water but what someone pulls
	your flippers off.