rpm problems

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 1 17:17:17 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that while my system will download rpms, it won't install
> them - all I get are pre, preun and post errors (even when
> uninstalling).
>
> I installed the latest kernel update by hand yesterday and did it with -
> vv as an rpm option. The output was this
>
> D: ============== kernel-2.6.10-1.1056_FC4.i686.rpm

Are you installing this rpm on an FC3 system without other upgrades from
rawhide?

I used up2date to install this version on an FC3 system. It required
newer versions of kernel related packages for the installation to be
successful. I uncommented the devel repo to install the kernel and
openoffice, performed the upgrade, then recommented out the devel repo.

I'm not sure as to whether you are running rawhide or fc3. Just a note
on trying to install packages via clicking on the rpm and letting
system-config-packages handle the installation. This method might have
worked, but it would have taken a very long time to solve the deps
needed before the instalations actualy completed.

Jim

--
Many people write memos to tell you they have nothing to say.