New testing kernel. 2.6.10-1.727_FC3

Fri Jan 7 02:30:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 21:02 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:16:19PM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
>
>  > Just in case it is the same problem -- I am noting strange pauses in the
>  > current devel kernel 2.6.10-1.1056_FC4 periodically, interrupting video
>  > playback and audio for a second or two at intervals, even when the machine is
>  > fairly quietscant.
>
> There's a lot of heavyweight debug code in the rawhide kernels right now
> which could account for this.  It's the usual stuff that gets turned off
> just before release (checking for reuse of free'd memory etc..)
>
> 		Dave

FWIW, I have noted similar audio interruptus with 2.6.10-1.727_FC3 using
xmms (1.2.10) with internet radio streams. Playback will stop
consistently, though the actual play time will vary. Sometimes it is
after a few seconds, others after some minutes. It does not re-start
however, I need to manually re-play the stream again.

I tried running xmms from a terminal to see if any messages were
displayed upon stoppage, but there was nothing.

This phenomenon does not appear to happen with audio CDs or MP3s
strangely enough. I am playing some MP3s at the moment, with no
problems.

I have not had any problems burning DVDs with this kernel. I burned two
today using k3b and the post burn verification check was fine.

Other than the above, I have not noted other problems with this kernel.

This is all on a Dell 5150 laptop (3.2 Ghz P4, 2 Gb RAM) fully updated,
including BIOS (A37) with a NEC DVD+RW (ND-5100A).

Marc Schwartz