Detection of printers in FC4

gslink gslink at one.net
Fri Jan 7 16:08:40 UTC 2005

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:28:18AM -0500, gslink wrote:
>

>>FC3 (I need a more stable system than Rawhide) has about the correct
>>printing detection.  What happens if you have several hundred printers
>>on a network.  You do not want detection as these are likely to be light
>>duty, private printers.
>

> Why would private printers be being broadcast in the first place?
>

>>Currently, CUPS publishes those printers that are marked shared
>>queue and these are picked up by all machines on the network.  This
>>is fine but searching for and publishing printers that just have a
>>lan address is wrong.  On a large lan this could take hours and
>>result in a long printer listing.
>

> I'm not quite sure what behaviour you are seeing that you think is
> incorrect.  Could you be a bit more specific please?
>
> Tim.
> */
I see nothing that I think needs to be changed.  In replying to a
request to change how printers are picked up I merely point out that
CUPS allows connection in many ways.  Only those printers where specific
action has been taken should be picked up without intervention.  I know
of an installation that has several hundred printers that are directly
lan connected.  These printers use JetDirect.  Others use Novell, or
Unix.  In most cases you do not want these printers to be public but
they are.  You don't want Linux to search for them.  CUPS finds public
printers now but only those that are declared public by CUPS.  I believe
the whole business should be left the way it is.  Before someone asks
for it, you can share printers over a lan without implementing any other
kind of lan connection.