New testing kernel. 2.6.10-1.727_FC3

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Jan 7 18:07:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:34:02AM +0000, Andy Green wrote:

 > On Friday 07 January 2005 02:02, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:16:19PM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
 > >  > Just in case it is the same problem -- I am noting strange pauses in the
 > >  > current devel kernel 2.6.10-1.1056_FC4 periodically, interrupting video
 > >  > playback and audio for a second or two at intervals, even when the
 > >  > machine is fairly quietscant.
 > >
 > > There's a lot of heavyweight debug code in the rawhide kernels right now
 > > which could account for this.  It's the usual stuff that gets turned off
 > > just before release (checking for reuse of free'd memory etc..)
 >
 > Thanks, that can easily explain it if something allocated and freed a big
 > chunk of memory and then it is checked for being touched.  I'll wait and see
 > if it goes away when a stable 2.6.10 kernel turns up then.

As a heads-up, todays rawhide has an extra debugging check that
checks those memory allocations periodically. This should catch
stuff that stomps past the end of its allocation, but never
free's it.  Hopefully it won't turn up anything new, but it's
worth having it on for now just for a look-see..

		Dave