Fc3 : installation via pxe boot and network

livelinux at nwst.de livelinux at nwst.de
Sat Jan 8 10:20:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

Joe Christy schrieb:
>   Vis-a-vis Dirk's note of 01/06/2005 05:23 AM:
> ..
>> Question: how can i tell the /sbin/loader to start a network install ?
>

>     Works fine for me with precisely that initrd. I think that the
> kickstart piece of the puzzle is what you are missing.
>
>     I do an interactive network install by placing the following ks.cfg
> in /tftpboot/linux-install/FC3/ on my tftp server, too.

Well - that`s what i don`t want to use - at least not via nfs (which i
don`t like much :).

I`m using a very customized comps.xml that is tailored for our servers
and workstations, and though I`m sure i can get it to work with ks, it
would be nice to be able to use the same install method from cdrom and
network without the need to create/use a ks file and nfs.

The funny thing is: the same initrd works fine (=able to do a network
install via the text 'select install method' screen) when booting from
cdrom - but some of our systems have neither floppy nor cdrom.

I can`t see the logic why the loader requires to mount a cdrom (my
install cd contains just the kernel and initrd, quite like the fc
boot.iso), so there`s nothing on the cdrom that could be used later in
the process - odd.

Passing 'network' or 'askmethod' as suggested in a previous answer
didn`t help (passed via 'append' in pxelinux.cfg/C0).

>     Joe

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best Regards,
Dirk Westfal

> PS It goes without saying (I hope) that you want all your
> dhcp/tftp/install servers securely isolated from the open Internet;
> there be monsters.

Sure :)
The install network and the server is well protected.