latest kernels and ndiswrapper

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Sat Jan 8 14:38:51 UTC 2005

Hello list,

I've been trying to use a wireless card (00:08.0 Network controller:
Intersil Corporation ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow] (rev 01) - with
isl3886 firmware). The prism54's guy Sebastien told me this firmware is
still not supported at all but with ndiswrapper.

As ndiswrapper wiki says at
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Distributions ,

"Recent 2.6 kernels have an option to enable/disable 4k stack size.
However, Fedora kernels disable this option altogether and use a 4K
stack size, which is not enough for some windows drivers. If you are
running a Fedora 2.6 kernel and your machine freezes after running
<tt>modprobe ndiswrapper</tt> as described in the [Installation] page,
you are probably using a driver that requires a stack sizegreater than
4K. Try installing the 16K stack kernel update fo Linuxant"

But I don't even get to that. I can create both  userspace utilities and
kernel module for recent kernels.

But all of those says to me:
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper
(/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.724_FC3/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Unknown symbol in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

In dmesg, I have
ndiswrapper: Unknown symbol task_nice

This is happening with latest kernels. In fact, every FC3/rawhide kernel
I tested have this issue. I've been able to use it with previous
versions of fedora though.

Is this a kernel, a fedora kernel, or a ndiswrapper issue?