FC 4 Xorg Rpms on FC 3?

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Sat Jan 15 08:48:33 UTC 2005

Tom Browder wrote:
> To possibly solve my X problems, Jim Cornette suggested I try latest xorg
> source from their CVS.
>
> Would adding latest xorg rpms from rawhide to my FC 3 setup be feasible
> without installing the whole FC 4 test?
>
> Or is FC 4 stable enough so that I should try that?

Generally speaking, my recommendation to end users is to never use X.Org
CVS directly for several reasons:

1) Installing from raw X source will not be configured identically to
the way X is built in Fedora Core.  This will be even worse on AMD64
64bit OS installations with multilib.

2) You will no longer be able to use X from rpm packaging or upgrade the
OS without manually hacking various things in the filesystem to undo the
damage installing X from source does.

While it is possible to undo the damage, it is a PITA, and I really
don't recommend it.  If you _must_ do it, use ProjectRoot et al.
(documented in the host.def section of the rpm spec file instead.

The rawhide X rpms *should* work on FC3.  If not, simply rebuild them on
FC3.

There will be an X.Org X11 update to 6.8.2 for FC3 when it is released also.

Hope this helps.