How to make permissions on "/dev/nvidia" stick?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 21:36:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:24:55 -0500, Ernest L. Williams Jr.
<ernesto at ornl.gov> wrote:
> Does anyone know the trick to make this stick?
> Following a reboot I must execute:
> chmod o+rw /dev/nvid*
>
> I am using "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run"

The permissions change for me automatically when i log into the
console via the pam_console mechanism.  And then the permissions
revert back to default permissions when a user is not at the console.
If you want to change that behavior you may have to edit the udev
device defaults for the nvidia devices and the console.perms.

did you follow the documented instructions on how to get nvidia
working with udev?
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

does /etc/security/console.perms have the lines
<dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx*
and
<xconsole> 0600 <dri>        0600 root

-jef