newest gimp won't run

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 09:16:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 23:07 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Is this an FC3 or an FC4 (development/Rawhide) system? I assume the
> > former -- in that case please install the package built for FC3 then
> > (gimp-2.2.2-0.fc3.3 should hit the download servers with then next
> > push), you shouldn't use Rawhide packages on FC3.
>
> Its sort of a hybrid.  Mostly rawhide.
> Cat /etc/fedora-release just shows:
>    Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide)
>
> I always get confused about the
> version thing.  I just update out of rawhide intermittenly.  Do you
> know what other packages might be causing the problem?

The only way to reliably find out what may be causing this were to debug
it deeply. A good guess would be gtk2 and related packages, but if you
want to be safe, do this:

0) Start with the gimp, gimp-devel packages
1) find out what packages are required ("rpm -q --requires ...")
2) find out which packages provide these requirements ("rpm -q
   --whatprovides ...")
3) update these packages if necessary
4) repeat steps 1 through 3 until all packages are updated that gimp and
gimp-devel require

Alternatively you can update the whole system which is much easier ;-).

> Shouldn't the dependancy routines have returned something about a
> problem?

No, they don't have information about library symbol changes.

> Currently I have 238 packages to update.  Any ideas which would be most
> likely to help this?.   My system is fairly stable right now.  I'd
> like to just update whats needed at the moment for gimp.

If you want a fairly stable system, why do you use Rawhide?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com