Updating FC3 via yum/apt with bleeding edge

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jan 25 11:15:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:21 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:13 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I've just installed FC3 and want to update to the latest available
> > packages (GNOME, KDE, firefox, etc.), new kernel, etc.  I've seen both
> > apt and yum as managers and wanted to know the best repositories to
> > setup to get the packages.
>
> 1. wrong list - as on fedora-list at redhat.com
> 2. yum list updates
>
> should give you the list of possible updates.
>
> -sv

However, if your REALLY mean "bleeding edge", add the following

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms-bleeding.repo
# Alternatives atrpms-stable atrpms-testing
#
[atrpms-bleeding]
name=ATrpms - Bleeding (Least Stable)
baseurl=http://apt.atrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/at-
bleeding
        http://ftp-stud.fht-
esslingen.de/atrpms/download.atrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/at-bleeding
        http://wftp.tu-
chemnitz.de/pub/linux/ATrpms/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/at-bleeding
enabled=0
failovermethod=priority
gpgcheck=1

Change enabled=0 to enabled=1 or use the yum --enablerepo=repoid flag.
Can also use add rawhide/development repos and be bleeding all over...

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo
[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

A less aggressive strategy would be to just change "bleeding" to stable
in the first example above, and check out the other repos available in
medely-config or atrpms-config from Axel Thimm's repo.  Can also get
apt/synaptic from ATrpms.

Enjoy.

Phil