Semperon processors

Aaron Scott scott.aaron at abc.net.au
Thu Jan 27 00:07:36 UTC 2005

What kind of odd noises, and how do you think they relate to the
problem?  If your computer makes funny noises at a higher clock speed it
suggests a hardware problem more than something in the kernel ( or at
least based on the details you have supplied ).

In the case that you don't believe that it is a Hardware problem, have
you tried booting something else?  For example a Linux bood CD, windows
install CD or something else to see what kind of result that produces.

If there was a problem with the kernel, you would expect to find it at
all clock speeds.

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 00:00 +0000, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My old motherboard and processor bit the dust at the end of last week
> and so I've fitted a Semperon (Athlon changed their x86 processor names
> to Semperon - Aths are now all x64) on a Gigabyte GA7N400 board.
>
> Now, if I have the processor set at 1GHz, it is recognised as an Athlon
> and will boot happily. If I switch it to be the 2.4GHz Semperon that it
> is, I get kernel panics and some very odd noises from the machine
> itself.
>
> Any ideas if there is a problem with Semperon processors and the kernel
> or is there some way I can get around this with a boot line fix?
>
> I'm on rawhide and the 1109 kernel.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
> --