Semperon processors

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Jan 27 02:34:30 UTC 2005

Paul wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My old motherboard and processor bit the dust at the end of last week
>and so I've fitted a Semperon (Athlon changed their x86 processor names
>to Semperon - Aths are now all x64) on a Gigabyte GA7N400 board.
>
>Now, if I have the processor set at 1GHz, it is recognised as an Athlon
>and will boot happily. If I switch it to be the 2.4GHz Semperon that it
>is, I get kernel panics and some very odd noises from the machine
>itself.

Did you update the bios ? After AMD released the Sempron line , most
manufacturers released bios updates to properly recognize those new
processors.. maybe when you set it to 2.4 , you're in fact doing a heavy
overclock (making it almost an athlon 3200+) , which *could* be the
explanation for the noises...

--
Pedro Macedo