poweredge 2400 smp kernel process hangs

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Tue Jul 19 22:18:35 UTC 2005

I guess i spoke too soon; kernel-smp-2.6.12-1.1435_FC5
finally had a hang after 24hrs ... and finally had to reboot to the
non-smp kernel. it feels like it is network related ... but it might be
scsi ... it is usually firefox, mozilla, or thunderbird that starts of
hanging ... and finally have to reboot to clear (I suppose the
application could be hanging on some log to scsi drive ... but it feels
like network related).

poweredge 2400, dual 1ghz processor, 1gbyte memory, six scsi drives,
raid controller.

problem appeared with all 13xx smp kernels ... i could reboot back to
1276 smp kernel with no problems or to any non-smp kernel with no
problems. 13xx smp kernels would frequently hang before getting thru
login initialization (I upgraded to FC4 final and the accumulated
changes no longer allowed 1276 smp kernel to boot).

14xx smp kernels now tend to run for some time before a process hang occurs.