Optional Dependent RPMs

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 21:35:58 UTC 2005

On 7/19/05, Steve Friedman <steve at adsi-m4.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
> > Robert Nichols wrote:
> >> I find that with firefox-1.0.6-0.1 the Flashblock 1.2.9 extension no
> >> longer recognizes the whitelisted web sites that should be allowed to
> >> load Flash content.  The sites are still listed in the Options dialog,
> >> but their Flash content is being blocked.
> >
> > I was able to reproduce this issue using Flashblock 1.2.9.  However, please
> > note that 1.3.2 is the latest version of Flashblock, and works fine with the
> > 1.0.6 RPMs as far as I can tell with my testing.  I would advise updating to
> > Flashblock 1.3.2.

> > Thanks for your feedback with the RPM!  It's very much appreciated.
> >

> This is a major gripe that I have with RPM.  There is no way for the
> firefox RPM to specify that the Flashblock RPM needs to be upgraded IFF
> flashblock is installed.  (The problem that we typically face is upgrading
> the kernel and nvidia -- there is no automated way to have the system grab
> a consistent set.  Of course, this is harder because the nvidia RPM
> changes)

I am probably misunderstanding the problem, but I dont see how 2
different code bases can really know that the other needs to be
updated. How is the Firefox to know that flashblock needs to be
updated? flashblock might have worked perfectly well with 1.0.4 but
not with 1.0.6? It would seem to require a larger testing change on
the firefox developers than needed. The Flashblock RPM could specify
that it works only with the 1.0.4 version of firefox which would
require that the admin would need to deal with the conflict manually
(eg if flashblock doenst have a newer rpm remove it.) Otherwise you
would need to tie together the packaging of the main rpm with all of
its possible children rpms (e.g. when building the 1.0.6 make sure
that all the xpi rpms are at their latest versions in the build tree).

> Steve Friedman
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator