Translating /dev/xxx to Grub hdxxx, yyy

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Jul 21 23:19:12 UTC 2005

In my odyssey to install FC4 64 on my Asus P5GD1 mobo,
I installed Suse 9.3 DVD on the system.  Installation went
without a hitch - no fooling around with where to put the
loader, etc.  That is the good news.

The bad news is, Suse sets the SATA drive to hd0 according
to the Grub config file.  So apparently the grub drive mapping is
different between FC4 and Suse.

So how does one translate from /dev/xxx as spoken by Disk Druid
to grubspeak???

And after answering that, how to get X windows to work with an
AIW X600.  Suse seems to run it at 1024x768 but not accelerated.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665