Translating /dev/xxx to Grub hdxxx, yyy

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Fri Jul 22 05:07:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 19:45 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R writes:
>
> > In my odyssey to install FC4 64 on my Asus P5GD1 mobo,
> > I installed Suse 9.3 DVD on the system.  Installation went
> > without a hitch - no fooling around with where to put the
> > loader, etc.  That is the good news.
> >
> > The bad news is, Suse sets the SATA drive to hd0 according
> > to the Grub config file.  So apparently the grub drive mapping is
> > different between FC4 and Suse.
> >
> > So how does one translate from /dev/xxx as spoken by Disk Druid
> > to grubspeak???
>
> See /boot/grub/device.map

Well, that says how FC4 saw the drives at install time.  Not clear
how/why Suse might see things differently, but I have seen cases where
grub saw different device orderings at boot-time than on the running
system - one with both IDE and SCSI controllers.  ATA/SATA is probably a
similar case.  Had to do a lot of detective work with "find <filename>",
"cat (hdX)/grub/grub.conf", "cat (hdY)/etc/fstab", and similar stuff at
the grub command prompt in both modes to figure it out.

Hard to offer specific advice on debugging without all the gory details.
I see several recent threads on Chuck Forsberg problems, but if the info
is there, I'm missing it.

Phil