Fedora Core 4 Test Update: libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-2

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 14:57:24 UTC 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:18:28AM -0400, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>> > Do you realize this is no longer enough?  We need apr-devel rebuilds
>> > to accompany GCC version bumps as well.
>>
>> can we please stop any such idiocities in cross package version
>> depencies???? We really really should not have this kind of dependency.
>> At all. Ever.

> Having to update libtool every time gcc's versioned dir changes
> is perhaps something I could live with, but having to update all packages
> because of it is silly.
> It would be preferrable if libtool could special case the versioned
> directories in gcc $CFLAGS -print-search-dirs in the libtool script and
> recreate them at runtime using gcc $CFLAGS -print-search-dirs.

This would require significant divergence from upstream libtool.

We really shouldn't be installing a script configured at libtool
build-time in /usr/bin/libtool, since that's what causes such
versioning problems and serves no purpose whatsoever, except lead
people into using libtool in a way it wasn't designed to be used.

Unfortunately, a number of people have already made this mistake, and
they won't even accept it's a mistake.

Maybe we should go ahead and remove /usr/bin/libtool regardless.  Then
the problem would just go away.

As for apr-devel, I suspect the need for versioning comes from a
libtool clone that I'm told it contains, but I really don't know, all
I know is that yum reports it can't update to the new testing gcc
because of the dep in apr-devel.