Slow Evo and .xscreensaver file in home

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jun 8 01:05:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 20:45 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Problem 2:
> .xscreensavers is created in the user home directory which prevents
> one
> from viewing.

Viewing what?  I have a .xscreensavers in my home dir, and I can
use/test screensavers all I want....

> I had to install xscreensaver-extras-4.21-4 and
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-4 via yum, but they were installed on the
> other everything install that I performed earlier. If one opens a
> terminal and runs rm .xscreens* as a regular user the full stock of
> screensavers is available.

Wait, your .xscreensavers file was from an old install, and you didn't
clean out the home directory?  -ENOTSUPPORTED

> minor detail to remove the file. A harder thing to know what is
> causing
> the problem on clean installs.

I don't think the problem DOES exist on clean installs.  (By clean, I
mean new file systems and the whole works)

> Problem 5:
> Firefox is nothing but trouble. I downloaded two ISO images from the
> net, then chose cleanup, which removed the files from disk and did not
> even stop at the trashcan. Why such a feature? If you are downloading
> something, don't you think you intend to keep it? (I thought that it
> would clear the list only.)

It does clear the list only.  I downloaded 5 or 6 files, looked in my
defined download directory to make sure they were there, hit the 'clean
up' button, and those files were still there....  It didn't delete them.
It did however clean up the list.  Make sure that the files are actually
being downloaded to where you think they are.  Check in ~/Desktop/ and
~/

Was I helpful?  Let others know: