lastlog devours universe

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jun 8 03:24:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:06:44PM -0700, Andy Ross wrote:
> Surprise is bad, and you can't document your way out of the problem by

Yes. That's why one should think long and hard before mucking with this.

Sparse files have been in *nix forever (someone more old sk00l than me can
come up with a date), and this particular file or its equivalent has been
that way as long as I know.

> As it stands, very few users have hardware capable of making a backup
> of the standard FC4/x86_64 log directory using standard arguments to
> standard tools.

That's a silly argument. The "standard arguments" to back up sparse files
would be appropriate and work fine.