lastlog devours universe

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 03:32:39 UTC 2005

On 6/7/05, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> > Oh wait, I bet a sysadmin knows that she/he can't backup stuff in
> > the /dev/ tree,
>
> Wrong.  "tar cfv /tmp/dev.tar /dev"  "tar cfvz /tmp/dev/tgz /dev"
>
> > Don't pass your lack of understanding off
>
> .. on the people who point out glaring design flaws in the distro.

That argument reminds me of a "sysadmin" at my previous job who for 3
years was ardently backing up "Shortcut to Exchange.lnk".

If you work with Unix and you don't know what a sparse file is, well,
then you are not a sysadmin. Besides, sparse files tar up just fine
and take up no space even if you don't pass any special flags to tar,
since nulls compress very well. It just takes forever.

NOTABUG.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Zlotniks, INC

"Выслухаў мядзьведзь казку і адарваў сабе хвост."