rhythmbox segfault / sound quality problems in fc4t3...

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Jun 8 03:46:46 UTC 2005

I just upgraded from FC2 to FC4T3 (via CD upgrade process), which went
amazingly well.  Nice work to whomever works on the installer!

One small problem I have with the result is that the new Rhythmbox
(0.8.8) now:

 - frequently segfaults when attempting to play a song (I haven't
   been able to manage to trap this yet, but the next problem
   is actually more important ;-)

 - when a song can be played, it invariably sounds like its being
   played from underwater (quality is very poor as if the clip
   is being played a little bit slowly and has a sample rate of
   about twice a second or so)

CPU usage is not noticeably high when playing back files, so it's not a
lack of resources.

The sound problem is independent of file format: ogg files and mp3 file
playback sounds equally bad.

Recompiling the 0.8.8 SRPM and reinstalling from the resulting RPM gave
no improvement.

xmms/mplayer seem have no problems producing good quality audio output
on the same system.

I also don't think this is necessarily a gstreamer problem because if I
do:

  gst-launch filesrc location=file.ogg ! spider ! osssink

.. "file.ogg" plays and sounds great.

rhythmbox run with the -d flag provides no obvious clues.

I was thinking of trying RB 0.7.1 for isolation's sake on FC4 but I
haven't been able to get it to compile yet.

Is anyone else having issues like this?

- C