why does my yum download really big headers?

Yuan Yijun yuan.bbbush at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:30:09 UTC 2005

2005/6/9, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:
> > some explanation. I separate the configuration to 2 files, as you can
> > see. And I can access to 2 mirrors, the first one needs proxy, the
> > second one (ftp://gnu.nju.edu.cn) not. When I use the first one, the
> > headers are very small in size. When I disable proxy and use the
> > second one, the headers are as large as the rpm files. Could anyone
> > please tell me why this happens? I cannot google it since my proxy
> > denied it :*(

Well this is very strange that I have specified "proxy=_none_" in the
second case. I'm not using proxy here, though I have the shell
variable http_proxy and ftp_proxy defined. (The values are identical
as in the first case.) In `man 5 yum.conf' it says

    proxy  url to the proxy server for this repository. Set to '_none_'  to
              disable the global proxy setting for this repository. If this is
              unset it inherits it from the global setting

and the environment variables http_proxy and ftp_proxy are the global
settings, right? But
 after I unset the two variables, `yum install ' works well.

> your proxy, transparent or not, does not support http byte-ranges.
> Contact your proxy admin to support those or use an ftp repository.

I'm using a ftp repository in the second case. I'm not familiar with
HTTP headers and how they affect ftp, could you say more about it?
Thanks.

--
bbbush ^_^