Broken alarm(3)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sun Jun 12 21:25:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 02:12:04PM -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> I don't know when, but the alarm system call no longer works
> properly.  The following program works on Unix but not
> Linux FC4t3 or FC3.  This is the mechanism rz/sz use for
> generating protocol timeouts.

It also doesn't work on RH 7.3.

But replacing longjmp by siglongjmp and setjmp by sigsetjmp(,1) makes it
work.

Notes from the manual page:
       POSIX does not specify whether setjmp will save the signal
       context. (In SYSV it will not.  In  BSD4.3  it  will,  and
       there  is  a function _setjmp that will not.)  If
       you want to save signal masks, use sigsetjmp.

So it could be that you were depending on unspecified behaviour...

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr