NetworkManager (was: Are these official fc4 iso's?)

Jerone Young jerone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 20:25:09 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 21:51 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > > Certainly - and I know Dan and others are looking into this through
> > > wpa_supplicant integration. Btw, we don't store the cached WEP keys in
> > > the clear; we use gnome-keyring to encrypt it.
> >
> > It does not help you very much with that.  I was talking about
> > retrieving keys from ethernet packets _sniffed_ over a radio so how
> > they are stored is hardly relevant.  AFAIK you need big samples for
> > those key breaking programs but the point is that with WEP you can
> > collect long enough and a target has no way to check that this is
> > happening.
>
> Of course. I'm aware of that.

> > > Well, you know, the idea here is that things should just work out of the
> > > box
> >
> > This assumption falls apart from what I, and an number of others,
> > have seen so far.  Yes, I wrote myself various things in
> > "worksforme" category but I never tried to push them to the public
> > as the best thing from a sliced bread. :-)
>
> Sigh. I've already described several times why this is difficult to get
> right and I'm not going to repeat myself. Here's a question though; why
> do you think that OS X only supports their own Airport wireless cards?

This might be the key for Redhat. Honestly Redhat needs to team up
with some hardware manufacturer and have a standard platform that will
work out of the box. You really don't have to worry about this with
servers today. But with desktop machines you need a standard supported
platform that you can tell people 100% works out of the box. With
Linux I have no idea what wireless card is the best wireless card to
use?  I would really like to just go to a website and know, OK this is
what I need to buy for a supported wireless card ( I think the intel
wireless card may be the best?!).