Installation failure - suggestions needed...

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 14 13:35:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 08:39 -0400, Neil B. Cohen wrote:
> I have a machine at home which has been running FC3 and FC4T3 without
> any problems. Last night I attempted to install the official FC4. I
> media checked the CD's, partitioned my disks, selected packages and
> started the install. Before formatting the disks, I got a popup window
> that said "Error informing the kernel about mods to partition /dev/hdb2
> - resource is busy. This means Linux will not see any changes
> to /dev/hdb2 until your reboot...." Then the system forces a reboot.
> I think this was my swap partition, but clicking the 'Ignore' button on
> the popup generated a similar message for other partitions I was trying
> to create (some, but not all of them...)

Neil,

I experienced the same thing. I solved it by going into rescue mode and
manually removing the FC4T3 partitions, reboot, go into rescue mode
again, make the partitions manually with fdisk and format them, reboot
and go into the installer and install FC4.

After the installation finished and I rebooted I had a weird LABEL=...
entry for the swap partition in my /etc/fstab filled with what someone
in #fedora called UTF8 junk. I removed the junk and changed the label to
LABEL=SWAP-sda3. Then all was fine. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick