audit login problem (was Re: rawhide report: 20050617 changes)

Lars G terraformers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 20:11:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 05:50 -0700, Steve G wrote:

> The kernel switch we are using is CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL. However, you should be
> able to login without it. It does depend on which version of audit-libs and pam
> that you are using. If you are using the current versions of each (rawhide), you
> shouldn't be having a problem.

thanks for the explanation

checked, the kernel (now vanilla 2.6.12 final) uses CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL.
also i'm using the latest rawhide versions of today, with
pam-0.79-10
audit-0.9.7-1
audit-libs-0.9.7-1
and still can't login.
(downgrading to the fc4 versions of audit & audit-libs works ok)

> Some pam configurations have also been updated to call pam_loginuid.so. What this
> does is set a new process attribute, loginuid, that is inheritted by all
> processes after login forks to start your shell. This way, if you su to root, we
> can see that you originally logged in under another account. There was a bug
> spotted a week ago that pam_loginuid.so was not checking for ENOENT when it tried
> to open /proc/self/loginuid to set that process attribute. This could also
> prevent you from logging in, too.
>
> To check this, comment out pam_loginuid.so in /etc/pam.d/login,sshd,gdm. Or you
> can change it from required to optional.

checked the files login, sshd, gdm in /etc/pam.d/ but there is no  pam_loginuid.so line in these files for me. (?)

> Today should have audit-libs-0.9.8 in rawhide, which cleans up a couple more user
> space audit message functions that are not called by pam. If you could check to
> see if loginuid is causing the problem that would help. Any other debug info
> would help too.

maybe my problem is that i'm not using selinux (because of reiserfs) ?

what log/info is needed to help debug this?
if it's not a trivial thing (selinux maybe) i think it's better to put this to bugzilla.

thanks
--
Lars G <terraformers at gmail.com>