FC5 Wishlist

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 19:02:23 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> Then work on a script which generates a web page out of not-closed
> bugzilla RFEs in pretty-print, with links to the bug filings. Then you
> have your pretty overview for people who can't query bugzilla for RFEs.

Actually.. no... it wouldnt... I think part of the point of the wiki
page is to hilight certain feature requests where there is some
agreement that this is a worthwhile feature.. a feature worth showing
to potential contributors and encouraging them to work on. Another
point of the wiki pages was to provide an editorial summary of
discussions that happen here on the mailinglists.  The wiki is NOT
meant to replace bugzilla as a tracking tool. Its meant to supplement
discussion which sprawls over month long circular threads in the
mailinglists to provide a central point of information and informed
opinion about what people are thinking and already talking about about
in the lists.

That process the wiki is being used for is editorial in nature,
something a wiki is very good at and something the pretty-print script
output wouldn't be.  I fully expect the wishlist of features in the
wiki to be smaller than the number of open rfes in bugzilla.  And I
fully expect the wishlist to be narrowed down on informed review in a
way that the bugzilla enhancements are not. If you don't want to
participate in that wiki experiment.. feel free to ignore any further
requests  Rahul or anyone else makes to add content to the wiki.

> I find hyping Wikis for everything that remotely resembles "information"
> annoying.

Either it will be a popular tool or it won't be. I believe you have
expressed your opinion. Now that its on record in the lists you won't
have to express your opinion again. I'm sure when the wiki issue comes
up again everyone who wants your opinion can easily access the
mainglist archives and find your opinion on the matter. There will be
absolutely no need to duplicate your opinion again anywhere on the
internet.

> Well, I don't fully understand the seperation of fedora-devel and -test
> either.
No.. inside a single list... there is continuous duplication of
discussion especially for long lived subjects. Thre is a constant
influx of new people on the lists..people who do not go back and read
archives...even from the previous day.

>But having bad examples doesn't excuse making the mess even
> bigger. See also the "web forum" thing regarding end user question
> support. There was AND IS fedora-list, (now) _and_ "web forums". Can we
> please decide to EITHER use mailing list OR clickety-click-all-colorful?

Why must we have just one?   I'm sure some people are more comfortable
with the mailinglist some are more comfortable with a webforum... some
are more comfortable with irc.... some i would imagine would prefer a
usenet group.  You are free to use the method that you prefer. There
is no absolute best technology for discussion.  Even if the project
made a formal decree and made ONE form of communication the one true
way and forbid all other forms of communication.. community would
still go on using the other ways of communication.  But I look forward
to the clockwork efficiency of Earth's future under your benevolent
rule.

> Anyway, I'll rest my case. Looks like I'm the only one preferring
> request/bug trackers and mailing lists over the stylish new things like
> "web forums" and Wikis. Perhaps because for me not everything looks like
> a nail yet.

Its more likely you misunderstand what is going on.. and are assuming
that people are trying to replace bugzilla as a tracking tool with the
wiki... which is not the case.  Its far better to think of the wiki as
an editorial supplement to the discussions in the mailinglists and the
forums.  And clearly... by your participation on the lists.. you see
that bugzilla isn't where you hold all discussion. The wishlists on
the wiki are there to provide editorial summaries of on going
discussions in the community facing channels.. like this list.

-jef