Is this possible? with Xen and GFS

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 07:09:29 UTC 2005

Mark Bradbury wrote:
> Just a thought
>
> I noticed that there are XEN, GFS and XEN GFS kernels
>
> Would it be possible with fedora 4 to do the following
>
> Have a system boot from a XEN hyper-visor kernel with all my normal
> stuff eg. nvidia drivers
> and mount  my /home partion using GFS
>
> at this stage have a normal working system with accelerated graphics.
>
> and then configure multiple  XEN virtual machines  all mounting the
> same /home partion with GFS
> so that what ever machine I'm on has the same $HOME but with locking?

It certainly should be possible. I've only ever had Xen VMs running GFS but I
can't think of any reason why you shouldn't run it on the host too.

One thing you should ensure though, is that the cluster can continue to work
with just the host running. To do this you could either (with cman) give the
host more votes than the sum of the VMs votes or (with gulm) put a single gulm
server on the host. There may be memory constraints with the latter arrangement
of the lock traffic is high though.

> If possible has anyonegot a howto?

I have a more general document on Fedora/Xen at
http://www.cix.co.uk/~tykepenguin/xencluster.html , it doesn't cover exactly
what you need and it's not really a HOWTO, but it might help!

--

patrick