Question about speed

Dan A. Dickey dan.dickey at savvis.net
Mon Jun 27 15:14:57 UTC 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 05:48, Mike old wrote:
> I have two machines (home/work) both running FC4
>
> machine 1 k6/2 500mhz 256Mb geforce4
> machine 1 celeron 933mhz 256Mb geforce2
>
> The lower speced machine is far,far,far quicker (gnome etc).
>
> Anyone any ideas how this could be?

If you are building your own kernels, make sure that you don't
accidentally turn on CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC in your .config.
You can check this by doing a 'grep CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC /usr/src/linux/.config'.
It should not be set.

I speak from recent experience with this matter; I enabled debug in my config so that I
could use the sysrq key.  Unknowingly, I turned on pagealloc debug also (the default if
debug is enabled) - and it took me a little while and some effort to track the problem
down.  I checked the stock FC4 kernel, and it of course does not have this config set.
But be wary if building your own kernel.
	-Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey
dan.dickey at savvis.net