Strange USB Pen problem

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Jun 1 14:47:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-31-05 at 06:39 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Dont sure, but probably your usb pen have an FAT filesystem...
> >
> > I am guessing here..
>
> Even if it was FAT32, I've never seen a name translation like that
> before.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
I use a USB/Firewirewire drive to hold all my MP3's. There are a
number of instances where file names change.

ALLUPPER.EXT => allupper.ext

A1234567.EXT => a1234567.ext

Abcdefgh.Ext => abcdefgh.ext

It seems that unless you have a non alphanumeric character and
the file name is 8 or less characters the filename is converted
to lowercase. If you have more than 8 characters or have a non
alphanumeric character, then the case is preserved. You can also
get errors like "Can not copy file to null" this indicates that
two or more filenames would be converted to the same thing.

Example.

File.EXT and File.ext would both be converted to file.ext and
would cause the conflict.

What can we say... M$ file system == :-(