Strange USB Pen problem

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 16:26:30 UTC 2005

Paul

> Just noticed this one. What component should the bug get put under
> though?
>
> If I use my USB pen and transfer something to it where the filename is
> all uppercase, the filename is converted to all lowercase (for example
> SENDA becomes senda).
>
> Everything still works, but it's a strange one.

Have you tried mounting manually with the option shortname=win95? This
is documented in the kernel docs:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linuxsh/kernel/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt?rev=1.2

I found that 8.3 names without differing case were being shown as lower
case, and this was confusing things like rsync.

I have to do this for a FAT32 mp3 player and I would love to know how to
make the hotplug system support the option (both using updfstab and the
newer system).

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--