Kernel updates

Nathaniel Husted nhusted at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:36:36 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:30:26PM -0400, Tim Taranov wrote:
>  > I used it once to get a baseline for a 64-bit kernel I needed - I
>  > ended up just downloading the sources rpm and rebuilding the kernel
>  > (since I had to do a kernel recompile anyway b/c of my hardware
>  > drivers). Worked pretty well for me. I believe though that Dave merges
>  > his changes peridiocally into some main tree from where you can
>  > download and install precompiled rpms using the regular yum update
>  > command. Not sure how often he does this though.
>
> How it works is.. I throw the srpm at the build system, and RPMs
> pop out the other side. Once every so often (I think hourly, though
> I've forgotten what I set it to) a cronjob fires, which copies
> everything out of the build system to people.redhat.com
>
> Normally, the following day, the highest version that is in the
> buildroot gets pushed out to rawhide. Closer to release, the
> automated 'if you build it, it goes to rawhide' thing gets turned
> off, and packages get pushed through manually (which hopefully
> explains why rawhide is 1-2 days behind what you see on my
> people.redhat.com page the last few weeks).
>
>                 Dave
>
> --

 I too have used it before although not via yum. I stumbled upon his
repository and decided to try out his latest kernel to see if it would
solve what I thought was a software issue. Either way things compiled
fine after I made a few changes to my config (for some reason disk
dump support did not want to compile). Right not I'm using a the .29
FC3 kernel with a modified config. Works great with no issues. I think
the repository is great for people who want to live dangerously.
*grin*

Cheers,
Nathaniel Husted