~/.xscreensaver causes only blank screen, no other choices

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 11:13:37 UTC 2005

shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> I installed FC4T3 fresh on a laptop that I was working on and was
>> stuck with not being able to access an f the extra screensavers on an
>> "everything" install. I finally realized some talk about an
>> ~/.xscreensaver file might be installed in ~ after trying other stuff
>> first. Is the .xscreensaver file intentionally put in the home directory.
>

> $ rpm -q xscreensaver-gl-extras
>
> iirc this package is in some circumstances not installed.

All screensaver packages were installed on  the initial installation.
Not having the extras and gl-extras was my first thought.

For some reason on the everything installation, the file .xscreensaver
was plopped into my only user directory.

After removing the file from my home directory, everything worked
alright. I asked mainly because I figured this action might be
intentional to give users a blank screen only screensaver unless they
removed the file from particular users directories.

The upstream package compiled fine on FC4T3 and looks and fails as the
FC4T3 version does. Documentation crashes on both the upstream version
and FC4T3 latest version.

I had the problem on upgrades before and added the 2 missing extras
packages and things worked thereafter. This is the first instance of a
clean install with the FC4 test that I tried.

Thanks!

Jim

--
"Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends -- tell me where to
get more wax!!"