rawhide report: 20050603 changes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:00:34 UTC 2005

On 6/3/05, Gene C. <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
> Has development already transitioned to FC5 development?

Yes.

Experienced users of rawhide who have been through a release
transition before have caught this and have either prudently stopped
eating rawhide or have put on a new layer of flame-retardant underwear
in preparation for what I call the 'post-apocalyptic' phase of
rawhide. The time between final release freeze of a release and the
start of the next testing cycle is always a dental visit brand of fun.

Sadly, other than an explicit annoucement that development is
unfreezing for fc5 staging to -test and -devel, I don't think there is
much that can be done to protect novice testers who have joined the
process and would choose to get off the rollercoaster at the close of
fc4 testing. I'm not even sure such an annoucement would be noticed by
the group of testers who would benefit from it.  Those testers are
doing fresh installs of fc4 anyways right? right? so whatever they do
to their system by eating fc5 staging updates for a week isn't a big
deal.

-jef"hear no evil"spaleta