rawhide report: 20050603 changes

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 3 20:43:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:00:34 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 6/3/05, Gene C. <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
>> Has development already transitioned to FC5 development?
>
> Yes.

[...]
> Sadly, other than an explicit annoucement that development is unfreezing
> for fc5 staging to -test and -devel, I don't think there is much that
> can be done to protect novice testers who have joined the process and
> would choose to get off the rollercoaster at the close of fc4 testing.
> I'm not even sure such an annoucement would be noticed by the group of
> testers who would benefit from it.  Those testers are doing fresh
> installs of fc4 anyways right? right? so whatever they do to their
> system by eating fc5 staging updates for a week isn't a big deal.

I was only aware of the branch for FC5 because of an announcement on the
-devel list (and by having perky antennae, like the OP).  Was there ever
an explicit announcement here?

It also helped that I knew beforehand the dual role that the rawhide
update stream plays.  But this was only through inference and osmosis.

It would be cool if the website had a bit more of this explained for
people who are willing to test and who also read docs.  (Like maybe at
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/test.html , or perhaps
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/updates.html)

--Jack