FAILED: FC4T3 on Matrox G550 + Dell 2001FP

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jun 4 01:27:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

just tried installing FC4T3 on my Desktop system (using a seperate
hard disk).

P4 2.6GHz, HT enabled, 1GB RAM, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Matrox G550
Monitor is a Dell 2001FP 20" TFT able to do 1600x1200 in 60 Hz native

Using DVI cable, installation was fine until first boot and switching
to X11. No real display, OSD saying resolution 4078x6 @ 75Hz :->
Switching to text console via Alt-Ctrl-F1 didn't help, all just colorful
garbage.

Rebooting using VGA cable, no chance either. After X11 coming up, I'm
seeing firstboot running, but everything being distorted to unusability.
Same effect on text console like with DVI.

Tried reinstalling via VGA, but there already Anaconda graphic mode
is giving me distorted picture.

So overall, I've got a complete "no go" on this system. Ideas?

Couldn't get my FC1 installation working with DVI because XFree86
rejects 1600x1200x60 as it claims that 162MHz is too much for
single-link DVI (which it isn't... it's exactly the max freq.), but
I've been able to get it running stable with analog VGA.

As a data point, X11 correctly detects Matrox G550 and Dell 2001FP
(analog/digital).

Best regards,
Daniel