up2date not working, Silly question

Joel Rittvo joelonlinux at optonline.net
Mon Jun 6 04:28:30 UTC 2005

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> Is this an official change in the way Fedora updates are going to be
> distributed in the future or just a work-around until whoever is
> responsible for posting the updates fixes things and gets the previous
> method working again?  If this is a permanent chance, it seems like this
> is something that should have gotten rolled out with FC5 instead of
> being inflicted on FC4 in the last few days before release (and someone
> needs a several whacks with a clue stick).
>
> Dave Miller

>> They lack the old-style headers. Try the following instead:
>>
>> rpmmd extras-fc4 http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/
>> extras/4/i386/

It still isn't working for me.  Now it is giving me parsing errors,
telling me I need to register at RHN, and asking for babies so it can
eat them.

Thanks to all for the help, but I think I am going to wait for the FC4
official release and then reinstall the rhn and up2date related
package(s) and grab the release package too.  Between those I am sure it
will be all happy.  Then I will have a clean slate, and I can edit in
the development repos at that point.

Frankly, I think the recent constant breakage of up2date is a subversive
way to get the last hold-outs like me fully switched over to yum.  It
may have finally worked here!

Joel